The importance of Family

Jessica - Marquette, Michigan

Someone that you can always count on is someone that is family. I believe that family is important in more than a loving manner.

Throughout my life I have always had my family by my side. When I was 15 years old I was diagnosed with scoliosis and structural length differences in my legs. For the past three years I have been in and out of the hospital and doctors offices. Thankfully this is something that I didn’t have to do alone. My family sits by my side, holding me up and helping me through these hard times.

The reason behind the diagnosis I got from the doctors is to this day is still unknown. I have tried all the options that have been given to me. In a month I will be going to mayo clinic to undergo tests in hopes to find the answer to the burning questions, why am I still in pain and what can be done to fix it?

Having a warm place to go home to with a loving family is a great comfort to have. The same people that gave me comfort all of my life have been there in the past three years. When I feel like I have nowhere to turn I can always turn to them.

Holding me while I shed tears of pain, limiting the activities they do because I was forced to stop them. One thing I have learned is to never take the people you have in your life for granted.

When I found out I had to limit my activities I felt every alone. It was winter, I watched the snow fall and the kids play outside. My brother quit all his outside sports to spend time with me. To this day I love him for helping me deal with that struggle and filling the alone feeling that I had.

Loving and caring people are the kind that one should always keep in their lives and close to the heart. With great strength between the four of us we were able to overcome struggles from fighting to death and pain to happiness. Without each other weakness, anger and pain would dominate our emotions, hiding the two important ones, love and care.

Family members provide guide lines to live by, tender love and care, friendship, and provide strength.

Some thoughts may or may not be shared between someone and their parents. Sometimes things come up and a shoulder to cry on or an arm to hold one standing up is needed. During this time it is wonderful to know that you will always have someone there.

Together families go through many highs and lows, allowing these setbacks to bring them closer together and share growing love for each other.