Discovering My True Self

Nicole - Marquette, Michigan

Discovering My True Self

Why would anyone choose this lifestyle? Why choose to be looked down upon even when you’re just as normal as any other American citizen. I believe being homosexual is not a choice. America is the land of the free, where I should be able to marry the person I love. Walk down the street with my partner and hear the subtle snickers “gay” being whispered under people’s breathe.

I did not choose to be attracted to the same sex or to be in a world where my own family, the backbone of my life does not support me for my lifestyle. Being grounded, yelled at, and followed just because I was in a relationship with a girl. I did that for the better part of three years of my six year relationship. I would never have chosen to put myself through the pain of not being able to be with a person that I love. Though my parents still don’t agree with my choices, I fought for what I believe is right and I deserve as much as anyone else to be in a loving relationship whether that be with the same sex or opposite. Maybe I stumbled into useless relationships with the opposite sex just like everyone else, but through those it made it easier to discover my true self. It’s not a choice or just a phase it’s who I am. This taboo thing that many don’t understand often raises the question, why? This was not a choice, being attracted to girls at a young age, staring at the girls on the playground and not the boys. Maybe people don’t understand how I could be in this lifestyle. I didn’t pick the default setting of the usual American girl; however, I didn’t choose to be custom either.

I as well as other homosexuals ‘hide in the closet’ in fear of the different lifestyle. It’s sad that even the land of the free doesn’t let you be who you are, let you get married, even if your love is just as significant as any straight marriage. My lifestyle is not traditional and it’s time that homosexuals stop being afraid of the fact that they are different and misunderstood. Maybe then some people can understand that this is not a choice; I discovered it and uncovered my true self. This I believe, being homosexual is not a choice but a discovery that’s been hiding inside all along.