You Can’t Buy Happiness

Alec - St. Clair Shores, Michigan

I believe money can’t buy Happiness

If you were able to judge the success of your life what would you look at? Most people want the American dream; big luxury cars, power, and most of all money. However usually those come hand in hand with greed, corruption and deception. As they say more money more problems. Look at all our politicians, they should be role models for our American society, our leaders, but I hope I never end up like most of those snobby dry old men. I want to make the best of my life: leave no regrets when it’s my time to go.

The media shows the lifestyles of the rich and famous that Americans all covet and it makes people feel worse about their own situations. You just have to make the best of what you’ve got. I don’t need a Rolls Royce, it makes you jealous and you start to want a life like that, I’m happy with a car that gets me from point A to B, without the T.V. screens in the seats. When you are exposed to a rich luxurious life on a daily basis you start to take everything for granted, the simple things in life become inadequate.

When I was younger my family was in a much worse financial position; but as I grew old my parents both have gotten better jobs and now we are much better off. We now have nice cars, a pretty decent house and basically everything we need. However as the years go on I can’t help but notice my parents becoming more stressed and my family becoming more distant. We used to go out as a family almost every weekend and do something that was cheap but loads of fun. Now my parents have no time for that, after a long day of work they come home, sit on the couch, and waste away in front of the T.V. My Dad, whom I’ve always looked up to, is constantly stressed about his job. It seems as if he is stuck in his mid-life crisis. I can’t blame them though; as we got wealthier I also changed. Instead of spending time outside with friends or with my family I started secluding myself to internet and video games that were never important to me before.

The point of life should be to enjoy it and have memorable experiences. When you don’t live your life you become old and dry from the regret of never knowing all you missed. I don’t want to have to go to college until I’m practically 30, by the time you get out you missed the best years of your life, soon you will be tied down by a family, kids, and bills you have to worry about. Life is too precious and too short to waste on material things. Things and possessions aren’t going to make you happy; all you really need is family, friends and a good time.