Legal Rights

Lauren - Marquette, Michigan

As people get older they are faced with more freedom and given the opportunity to decide on factors that can affect them for the rest of their lives. When a person turns eighteen they are considered to be a legal adult. Along with being considered an adult comes the right to vote, buy tobacco products, to fight, or even die, for our country, as well as now being seen and tried as an adult in the eyes of the court. If we are faced with these kinds of decisions and factors that can affect the lives we lead, we should be able to drink legally at eighteen.

My second cousin went to Iraq after 9/11 to show his patriotism and fight for what he believed in. At the time he was nineteen years old. He had never been able to enjoy the full experience of being an adult because he died while in Iraq. If he would have been able to drink at eighteen he would have been able to enjoy the things that other people get to experience as adults. He was never able to go out with his friends to a bar. This makes me sad to think that he put his life on the line for our country, but wasn’t even able to take full advantage of the freedoms that are granted to us in life as we are an adult.

If a person is able to put their life on the line to fight for our country, or even face living the rest of their life in prison, possibly facing the death penalty in some states, they should be able to drink alcohol. The legal drinking age in the United States was once eighteen and should be changed back. Although making the legal age twenty-one may have reduced some factors, it has also increased many.

Having the legal age set at twenty-one has made it more appealing to teens, since they know they are not supposed to do it, which has resulted in more deaths from things such as binge drinking or reckless behavior while drinking. Being an adult means being able to be responsible for your own actions. When I think of how my life has been affected now that I am an adult, at the age of eighteen, I think of how I am now responsible for myself and the actions I make. If we are to be considered adults at eighteen we should be able to legally drink.