The Power that Love Brings

Dorothy - Richmond, Canada
Themes: love

I believe that love empowers us. It gives us courage to overcome our fears. A gentle squeeze on the hand, an encouraging smile, or the steady presence of someone who cares for us deeply, is sometimes all we need to get through a challenging time and reminds us that everything is going to be alright.

When my doctor told me I had to undergo a laparoscopy to remove endometriosis from my lower abdomen, I must admit that I was scared. I never had surgery before and the thought of being put to sleep (what if I never wake up?) and operated on unsettled me.

On the day of my surgery, my husband came with me to the hospital. He sat beside me for the three hours I was waiting for my turn at the surgical suite. When the nurse was inserting needles to my veins, he made funny faces to make me smile. Before I went inside the operating room he kissed me to let me know that he’ll be thinking of me and that things will be just fine. After the operation, he held my hand as I was recovering from the effects of the anesthetic. When it was time to go home, he put on my socks and helped me get dressed. It was that moment, as I gazed upon his face, that I told myself that I would be a fool to ever let go of this man who has always treated me with love and kindness. When I am with him, he makes me believe that I can face anything life throws my, and our, way. That, I believe, is the power that love brings.