Lindsey - Rancho Cucamonga, California

I believe there should be no welfare, or at least our present system should be drastically overhauled. I am aware that that statement comes off ridiculously callous and coldhearted, but trust me when I say there is “rhyme to my reason.” I will not deny that welfare sounds great on paper, but the fact is, so does communism, and ask Russia how well that worked for them. Here are my thoughts: As an example, welfare should be used for families whose hardworking parents get laid off due to their employers going out of business. With this job loss, they now need extra money to buy groceries, clothing and school supplies for their children, or just general monetary assistance in supporting a family, while simultaneously looking for new jobs. As a taxpayer and a moral person who understands that pitfalls are a part of everyday life, I would have absolutely no problem with my tax dollars being wisely spent on my fellow Americans who truly need help. However, I am willing to bet that that is not the case for the vast majority of the people who currently utilize the welfare system. Instead, most of the people use welfare as a steady paycheck as opposed to a short term springboard helping them back on their feet. Welfare has become an enabler, a crutch for the irresponsible, lazy individuals of our country that continue to exploit a very lenient and generous system.

I have a cousin who just turned 23; he is the father of a two-year-old little boy with his girlfriend who has two other children from two previous boyfriends. They are on welfare, and their poor decision to start a family (more realistically their irresponsible non-use of birth control) is now something that I, as a taxpayer, have to pay for. I chose not to get pregnant at a young age, enabling me to pursue an education and a career, so why should I have to pay for my cousin and his girlfriend’s ignorance and shortcomings? Although I love my cousin more than words can express, I do not want to have to pick up his slack, and I doubt that my fellow tax paying Americans want to either.

For almost 200 years, our country has been extremely tolerant and openhanded

with people who have fallen on difficult times. Even though in past years, there have always been people who take advantage of our system. In contemporary times, it seems as if the people who abuse the system far out number the honest hard-working ones, whom the welfare system was designed for.

I BELIEVE that there is a crop of individuals who have taken our kindness for weakness, and have adulterated our welfare system to nothing more than free money for lazy people. That belief is the reason why I BELIEVE that there should be no welfare or at least our present system should be drastically overhauled.