All Cleaned Up

Markiesha - Jacksonville, Florida
Themes: change

Four years ago, I was a total mess. I remember sitting by the water late one night, crying and questioning why I had ever even been born. I was a liar, a scammer and a thief yet I would put up the façade of being a good person. I tried to convince myself that I was okay by comparing myself to those who were doing worse. I figured since I didn’t drink or do drugs, and that I had never killed anyone, I was all right but that couldn’t have been further from the truth. I desperately needed a change in my life but I didn’t know how to change. I felt so I trapped in the way that I was living.

One Sunday I decided to visit a church that I had been invited to by some friends. The church was holding a special service that morning with an evangelist visiting from Arizona. I honestly can’t say that I remember everything that was preached that morning, but what I do remember is toward the end of the service the evangelist asked if there was anyone who had not yet accepted Jesus Christ into their life. I knew the way that I was living my life was wrong. So I decided to put down my pride, I got up from my seat and walked to the altar at the front of the church. I got down on my knees and cried out to Jesus Christ, and asked Him to forgive me of my sins and to set me free of all the things that had me bound.

“If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” This verse from the book of Romans was proven true in my life. When I stood up from the altar, I was a new person. God met me that day and did a miracle in my life. He has changed me from being a liar, a scammer, and a thief to someone who strives to be honest, helpful, and giving. I did not get religion on that day, which was something that I had in the past, but instead I started a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Since that day I have continued to live for God. I have stayed actively involved with my church by volunteering my time, talents and resources. We regularly put on plays and concerts and go into neighborhoods to reach out to people and to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I enjoy sharing with others the testimony of what God has done in my life so that they can see that God really does change lives. I believe that there is no way I would be the person I am today if it had not been for God reaching out to me, saving me and setting me free.