The Power of Literature.

Gentry - Gainesville, Florida

I have dyslexia, and when I was younger I was put into one of those special reading classes. None of my friend where in there and I felt isolated and incapable. We read short stories and where never encouraged to read beyond that. Their reading class did not consist of text books with bolded words and pictures. No they got the real prize, books. Books, which had page numbers, famous authors and interesting titles. Books, that when you read them you where uninterrupted by your teacher asking you if you understood the material.

I was jealous for the small chapter books that my friends read. At the current time in second grade the “it” book was Harry Potter and the Scorer’s Stone. I would hear fantastic tales of Harry Potter and his friends saving Hogwarts from what unnamed doom during recess.

I had the Liberian check the book out for me, and for the first time I felt confident about my learning ability. Though being a child with dyslexia, it took me a very long time to read the book. So long that I had to renew my precious Harry Potter book. That day my teacher was at the desk checking in the books. I walked up to her, handed her my book and asked her in my soft second grade voice if I could have it renewed. She took one look at the book, tossed it in to the crate and asked me to find an easier book. My heart sank when I heard the hard slap of Harry Potter hitting the return box. My new found hope was lost.

The next school year as I was browsing the library of my new third grade teacher’s classroom, I saw Harry Potter. I checked it out and was unstoppable. I began to read the other Harry Potter books, and my reading level rose. Finally I read the 734 page Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I started to branch out, testing my limits. In forth grade I was moved into the regular reading class.

Now, I read on a level above my peers and have suppressed my dyslexia. I hold the title of “editor” for my middle school’s first ever literary magazine, Making Waves. Making Waves has won first place from Scholastic and a Gold Medal from Columbia University.

The power of literature is a deep one. Harry Potter saved me, and I am indebted to J.K. Rowling for creating such a book that would inspire me to not give up my literary dreams.