I believe in choice.

Rachelle - Grand Rapids, Michigan

I believe in choice, everyone’s life determines on the choice they make ever day. You make choices to benefit your life, what you think is best for you. So who has the right to tell me you what’s best? I believe that authority has a big role in controlling the choices that affect you daily but what do you do when you strongly disagree?

I grew up with a bad case of scoliosis, and at a young age I had to make a huge choice to get surgery to correct my spine, my doctor said that’s the only thing that will fix it; I have to, so I listened. There were many complications that made it hard for me to get through my day. For a long time I learned to deal with pain but just dealing with it eventually brought more and now it’s so exhausting physically and mentally at times I questioned my sanity. At 19 years old, a new college student with an optimistic attitude, an open mind and determination; the health problems I face, were putting up road blocks in my life.

For the past year I was being treated at a pain clinic and was given pain killers to help the pain. The pain clinic did a random drug test and I was positive for marijuana. They obviously didn’t agree with that so they told me they couldn’t prescribe me pain killers any longer because of it. I use it because I found that it was the only thing that brought me relief without being high as heck off pain killers. I used pain killers in the past and got addicted to them, it was the only way I could get through the day, and it eventually caused permanent damage to my liver. I don’t want to go back to that. It’s too physically addicting and I don’t want to feel dependent on any drug. After over coming that addiction and realizing how much I value my life; I’ll be damned if I go back to that.

I often need pain relief with narcotics but it only does so much, without abusing them. I went to my family doctor and she also told me she could not prescribe me narcotics because I smoke, and it’s illegal. She wanted to know what she had to do to get me to quit smoking. I’m not going to be dishonest, I told her that I wasn’t going to quit, I don’t want to. I told her I would try. I told her that when I don’t smoke, the more narcotics I use to help my pain and it makes me feel numb to my emotions, like my life is just passing me by and I’m just dealing with it, not living it to the fullest, I don’t like that feeling. I don’t consider myself to be addicted to marijuana physically; in any way, maybe mentally, but only because I know it helps keep me level-headed and calm, I feel like I think a lot clearer also. My doctor told me the only way for me to continue using the pain killer Norco, I have to quit smoking. In order for me to get through my busy schedule and still be able to enjoy life without being strung out on just Norco, I used Norco with marijuana, it helped me a lot more, in a way it evened me out because I didn’t have the dependent feeling of using it because I used it less.

I realized the side effects of this drug when I kept going to the hospital for more pains in my body. I don’t know if the doctors weren’t smart enough to realize this but, I have a good amount of health problems, sleep apnea, a thyroid problem and a liver problem. The doctors wondered why things were going down hill for me and why my immune system was so weak. Low-and-behold, I looked up the side effects the drug Norco should not be taken if you have all of the above, and then I found that it shouldn’t be taken if you have curvature of the spine. That’s what caused my pain, that’s really the whole reason I took this drug! How much sense does this make to me? Not much at all. But this is what my doctor thinks is best for me.

I don’t want to stop smoking marijuana to again, become dependent on this harmful drug that has such a high addiction rate, I don’t want to stop using Norco because it does help me. I work better, I sleep better, and I feel better, with the use of marijuana.

It all comes down to choice; my doctor believes that only Norco is the best for me. I want help, to deal with my pain my way. Call me stubborn, but my whole life I listened to the doctor telling me what the best choice is when it comes to dealing with my complicated health issues. I didn’t know any better, I thought they did, so I listened. I know better now, I’m happier and healthier then I have ever been. I believe it should be my choice. What my doctor is telling me, is that being physically addicted to pain killers that cause a list of problems, is better then smoking weed that may be mentally addictive but far less harmful with good side effects. Though marijuana is illegal, Norco is a much more harmful drug by far; FACT. I believe the choice my doctor wants to me to make is not the best for me.

I believe there should be a change; I believe that nobody has the right to tell me what’s best for me when I have already tested my options and know the outcomes. My doctors choice, has never worked out to be the best choice for me, physically mentally and emotionally. I believe the choice to be happy and balanced should be left to me. I believe I should have the right to smoke weed legally for pain control instead of using the highly addictive narcotics that cause more problems. There needs to be a change in the system, this country. Vote yes for proposal 1!