The Joys of the Hard-Working

Jordan - Sacramento, California
Themes: work

“There has never yet been a man in our history who led a life of ease whose name is worth remembering.” This quote by Theodore Roosevelt has stuck with me since the first time I heard it in the 6th grade. It describes perfectly the true value of hard work and determination in this world. Whether it be in sports, school, or anything of the sort, hard work can take you to your biggest dreams and those you’ve yet to imagine.

I remember when I was 7 years old and decided to quit playing baseball. For whatever reason, I hadn’t hit a single ball all year and had deemed myself a liability to the team. I continued playing until the end of the season, at which time I informed my parents that I would no longer like to play baseball. They, of course, asked me why I had come to such a conclusion. I promptly replied with an explanation of why I was “no good”. I realize now that I was no good as long as I didn’t work harder to become better. I realize now that I could have become the greatest baseball player in the world had I not drowned myself in self-pity.

Since the moment I realized these things about my baseball career, I have strived to work hard and never give up. This is truer in my schoolwork than in anything. No project is too daunting for me to finish, no problem too complicated to answer. I will never give up in my quest for success and happiness as long as I know that I have perseverance in my heart. I can only give the destitute one piece of advice: sweat, blood, tears, and toil will never be unable to solve even the most overwhelming of tribulations.

Many people have discovered this truth about hard work as I have. These are the people who are content, who are successful in their life and careers, who have what they want. Those who delude themselves with ideas that they will never be happy are severely mistaken. In this country more than any other, labor can take you anywhere you want to be, whether that place is in the stars or at the top of a skyscraper. Whether your goal is to find the cure for cancer or to provide food and shelter for your family. I know that I almost always reach the goals that I set for myself, and as long as I give 110% in everything that I do, that will continue. Hard work is the answer to most problems. Hard work is the root of all success. Hard work brings forth happiness. This, I believe.