I believe in the color green

Samantha - David City, Nebraska
Themes: family, love

I Believe In The Color Green

When I was ten-years-old, I stumbled through my hope chest trying to find pictures to add to my photo album. As I was going through it, I found some pictures of a lady I have never seen before. After talking to my mom about it, I found out that I had been adopted. Since I was neglected and isolated from the outside world, growing up with attachment disorder has stolen a lot from me. After that information was wired through me, I knew why I was always distant from people. It was very hard to accept the new change and the new life. Even though my parents are good people and never would harm me, I had a hard time believing it and allowing them be close to me. The need to be loved was a huge need in my life. So dealing with these battles, I have had help along the way. The help of people, my own experiences, and life itself has helped me shape who I am. But most of all the color green has made a huge impact on me. I believe in the color green and the warming and cooling effects that it brings.

Signifying harmony, balance, stability, growth, and life, green produces echoes of nature to calm and relax those who are in need of a break. I have dealt with a handful of struggles and battles in my twenty years of existence that I had to defeat. Green has been fighting these struggles with me by my side.

Even though green can symbolize money, it is not the most important thing to me. However, struggling on a daily basis trying to keep food on the table or bills paid is plenty for a heartache. At age thirteen, I had worked a full time job to help family pay bills. And after a hard honest day of work, I spent time outside surrounded by all the shades of green that pitches out a fresh summertime feel. The green grass, trees, and plants that surround me everyday instantly put a smile on my face. With all this green in the world, it reminds me that I need to be strong and hold confidence close by my side.

The struggles in my past, with money, and life are always defeated because I know what color to turn to. I know green has been placed on this earth to help me beat down the struggles I face. With new life experiences, I am now able to put more treasured memories in my hope chest. And knowing that my biological mom is still in there, I have learned to accept my past and let go. I believe in green, and I believe it will continue to surround my life with strength, power, and happiness to move forward.