Jungle City

Britani - Arboles, Colorado

Bonding. It usually occurs when something sad happens or when somebody is there for you. I believe that bonding happens at times least expected, even during those crazy, silly moments.

My cousin Trent was the first one out of the gate. He is the son of my Uncle, Ryan M and my Aunt, Jen M. I was born one year, one month and twenty-one days after him. He is, without a doubt, my favorite cousin, but don’t tell the other nine that.

“BRITANI I WANT SOME ICE CREAM!!!” Trent was screaming across my grandma’s small, cramped condo that smelled like toaster waffles and Axe.

“Well then, find us some MONEY!” I yelled back at him.

When I walked up to the kitchen where he was I saw his spiky hair poking up from behind a drawer.

“Aha! I found moneeeeeey!” he squealed as if he had found a hidden treasure but was only $7.00 in nickels, dimes and quarters.

“Wow Trent, just um, um, wow.”

“C’mon LAAAAZY stop making fun of me, get your big butt up and lets GO!” Trent said while already half way out the door.

On our way, Trent hummed some silly ice cream song that got stuck in my head for three weeks . . . ugh!

“Going to get some ice ice cream, ice ice cream, ICE ICE CREAM!”

“Good God Trent SHUT UP!”

“Shut doesn’t go up”

“GAS PRICES DO!” we both shouted at the same time.

Coldstone was a mile away, about a 45-minute walk for us. So we went, we ate, we left. Crazy I know.

“Hey Brit, have you ever seen the river up-close?”

“You mean the thing with trees hovering over it and trash flowing through it? Ew… no.”

“Must you ALWAYS be so negative?”

“Well its true!”

“Whatever, come look”

I peeked my head in first. It was like a completely different world. The weather became even hotter and sticky; it felt and sounded like a jungle. For a few seconds I almost forgot I was still in the middle of Thorton, where smog hovered over every building. That is, until, I looked down and saw all the trash floating in the river.

Bugs were riding on the bottles as if they were boats in the Amazon. Suddenly, Trent got an idea. It was like that dusty, old, and dim light bulb in his head had FINALLY gotten replaced.

“Lets push the bottles down the river!”

“Ha-ha Trent, you must be joking,” I replied gazing down the river “ there are at least…one, two, three, four, five, six, SEVEN waterfalls on this thing. They will get stuck in the first one they hit!”

Trent looked around for a while so I sat in the wet mulch and waited.

“Here,” out of nowhere this disgusting branch was waving around in my face “Use this to push them out of the water falls”

“Fiiiiiine, I’ll do it!”

“I’ll push you in!”

“Bring it on!”

“Your such a drama mama!”

“Better than being a drama KING!”

“Or what?”

“You know what? SHUT UP!”

“Wow that really hurt me… down deep dude.”

“Just put the stupid branch in.”

The branch was slowly and carefully put into the river. He pushed two bottles along (one Pepsi bottle that’s label had been torn and cut into a strange shape that my cousin and I debated about for about 5 minutes) and along with a lime green bottle. This bottle’s label was almost completely torn off except for an e. My cousin and I guessed it was Mountain Dew.

Every time we got to the waterfalls it was a total laugh fest. First, when the bottles fell down the waterfall and hit the bottom, we yelled and said ‘ ouch that had to hurt’. Trent would then pick up the huge branch he had been dragging behind him since he found it and try to get the bottles out. The branch weighed about ten pounds, so putting it in fast moving water was not my cousin’s brightest idea. It would pull him but we always got those bottles moving.

While pushing the bottles along we talked about everything. We talked about my dad and my step dad, his girlfriend who drove him crazy but he loved anyways. Everything. We splashed each other to keep cool and giggled when one of us had gotten the other soaked. As strange as it seems, we were actually bonding.

We shared laughs, secrets and even a few tears. When he cried I held him and he did the same for me. We became closer than ever. On a 45-minute walk back from Coldstone, we shared everything. I didn’t want to go on that 2- mile walk in the first place. However, I’m so happy I did. I got to bond with my cousin which I hadn’t done since I had gotten to Denver. Now, Trent and I text everyday. We talk about everything and anything. Phone calls are made when something is wrong and silly pictures are sent when one of us just needs to smile. Its strange to think that the reason Trent and I are so close is because of a silly little walk along a concrete path in the middle of Thorton pushing bottles along a river that looked like a smaller version of the Amazon. I believe that random moments like these are the reason bonding happens.