I Believe in Competition

Todd - Huntington, West Virginia
Themes: work

I believe in competition because it benefits everyone. Every company has one goal and that is to manufacture products cheaper, faster and better then the opposition. Without this competitors spirit items would cost more. It gives opportunities to those that want to work for it and deserve it. It provides entertainment in the form of sports. It inspires people to do things in new and creative ways. Competition provides excitement in what would normally be a boring world without it.

I believe competition motivates people to think of ways to improve upon an idea and create change in the world. These innovative ways of manufacturing goods results in cheaper prices for the consumer, because one entity cannot control the market. If one company controls a specific market not only would prices be higher, but their product would also be harder to get. With more than one company driving most businesses, we all benefit in multiple ways: more supply, cheaper prices and more people willing to invest. The competitive spirit motivates people in different ways.

Sports are another form of competition. Sports are not only a business and a source of pride for the owners but a form of pride for the fans. When your favorite team wins it makes you feel like you are a member. Your team helps you to live fantasies you might have had when you were younger. When a team wins it draws more fans to the organization, and for the owners more fans means more money. For the players their particular sports they must train constantly, and perform at high levels to keep their job in one of the most competitive job markets. In an effort to be a part of winning teams, owners will spend their money to bring in players that work hard to help their team win.

I believe competition can bring the best out in everyone. Especially for those that work in the medical field. The competition in the medical field is not about money, it is about saving people’s lives. The medical field has competition all over. One of the more competitive markets though is from the pharmaceutical companies. With hundreds if not thousands of people researching and developing new drugs to help with disease and sicknesses, they push each other to find the next cure. Technology makers are also competitive researching new ways to look inside the body to help discover what could be wrong with someone. One day the competition to live will continue to push the health field and will find cures for disease that do not have cures yet.

I believe competitors bring out the best in each other. The drive in people to be better is good for the economy, better health or for personal enjoyment. It can help to lower prices in the consumer market and make for a better economy. As long as humans don’t lose their competitive edge, there will be advancements in the future to benefit people financially, emotionally and health wise. It is this excitement of seeing what could be next that makes everything worth it in the end. Who knows what could be next?