THIS I BELIEVE

Brent - Huntington, West Virginia
Themes: parenthood

I believe that being a parent is the most rewarding experience you can have.

Having my daughter changed my life for the better. Everyday brings something new and

exciting. Nothing in my life up to this point has been as challenging, or as rewarding. Being a

parent can also be scary because you have to make sure nothing ever happens to her. My

daughter is five months old, and I cherish every moment of being a parent.

The day Skyla was born was the happiest day of my life; the day we became a

family. My wife had been in false labor for two weeks, and we were becoming anxious for our

daughter to be brought safely into the world. It had been a long pregnancy of worrying because

of my wife being so high risk because she had Lupus Anticoagulant(a blood clotting disorder),

gestational diabetes, and high blood pressure. We were in the hospital at least five times and

finally the doctor said it was time to induce active labor. After a long night, at 5:38 am, I

watched as my daughter came into the world. I heard her first cry and watched the doctors

performed their tests. She was finally here, and she was a healthy 7 pound 8 ounce baby girl.

After everyone left the room, my wife and I got to hold the baby. When I looked into my

daughter’s eyes I felt reborn, and I realized that the purpose in my life was lying in my arms. It

was the greatest feeling to become a parent and know that the life that was brought into this

world depended on me for everything. I have a responsibility to her.

Being a parent can be scary at first. Parenting comes with many responsibilities and

challenges. As a parent you have to be sure she is developing the way she should be. Waking up

in the middle of the night to feed her and changing her diaper is only a small part. She needs lots

of love and attention, and her clothes need to be clean and dry. You have to check with her

doctor and do some research to make sure she is sitting up, rolling over, and standing as she

should be. The last month has been difficult; she is teething! Knowing my daughter is in pain,

makes me feel like I am in pain. There are going to be more challenges ahead, but I look forward

to them because every challenge has a reward. Every moment with Skyla is a reward.

Being a parent is a wonderful experience. Every day is something new and exciting for

her, which has made me look at the world in a whole new way. Skyla is growing and becoming

more curious everyday. A simple doorknob or a ceiling fan is a brand new discovery for her, and

she reaches her tiny fingers out to touch everything. Watching as she wraps her hand

around my finger, or seeing her give me a big, toothless grin makes every moment joyful. I am

addicted to making her laugh as much as possible. I look into her eyes and see a little of myself

in there, and I know that she is a gift from God. I know that she is here for me to care for and to

love. Holding Skyla in my arms makes me feel reborn.

Skyla has been a blessing in my life. I believe that having a child is the best part of life.

Children will eventually grow up, and watching as they grow is somewhat heartbreaking. I love

this time with her as a baby. I know as she gets older she will become more independent

and not need me as much. I try to enjoy every moment I have with her, because I know children

grow fast and are soon on their own and having children of their own. Being a parent is the most

rewarding experience you can have. This I believe.