This I believe treat everyone with respects

Stephanie - North Bend, Washington

Ever since I was little I have always been bigger than my classmates, and you have no idea how hard it is being in elementary school hiding in the bathroom crying because your “friend” gave you the nickname “big fat tub of lard.” I hid in the corner hoping nobody would notice me, because if they did, I knew they would laugh and make jokes about me being “FAT”. I think that the word “FAT” is one of the ugliest words in the dictionary.

I am not trying to make people feel sorry for me, but I am trying to let them understand how hard it is to not be accepted for who you are because of how you look. For people to comment on your size when you didn’t ask to be this way is probably what hurts the most. My being fat has to do with genetics and is not my choice I just want to be heard. I got tired of being treated differently at regular school so I mad a change, and I moved to the alternative school instead of continuing to be hurt. As far as my happiness goes, it has got to be the greatest choice I have ever made.

I know how hard it can be to be different. Kids that are my age are so mean to kids like me and this is why people like me hide in the corner and chooses not to talk to people because we are called mean names everyday. Just because we are thicker than other kids at our school doesn’t mean we should be made fun of for it. Some of us larger kids do choose to have many friends and that’s great but some high school students are afraid of being a little different. I have learned to be happy the way I am.

I am just one of lucky ones, and up until a couple weeks ago, I haven’t really had anyone comment or make fun of me for my size the two years I have been here. It hurts to have someone notice but you try to forget about them. You just have to tell yourself that when people make fun of you, they are just trying to put the attention on your flaws because they don’t want anyone to recognize theirs.

If one person at my old school had taken the time to get to know my personality and not judged me so quickly, I would probably have had a lot of friends and done better in school. That is why today I love the environment I am in; people don’t judge me and the friends I have are true to me and like me for who I really am and nothing else. The way I see obesity is that it can almost be a blessing sure I may have not ever gone on a date but my friends love me for me. They way I look at life much differently than most everyone else. I don’t judge a people on the basis of their flaws instead; I look at how good of a person they are. Right now I’m the richest girl in the world because I have great classmates that accept me for who I am and I have some of the greatest friends in the world. This is why I believe in not judging book by its cover but for the content inside.