A Rainy Soccer Day

Chandler - USA
Themes: nature, sports

“Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning how to dance in the rain.” On a gloomy Saturday afternoon, my friends Tyler, Luke and I decided to get together. We met up at Tyler’s house where we went over the checklist of possible activities to fill out the day. Are options were limited. Droning videogames and watching the same highlights on SportsCenter’s top ten were neither my vision of an ideal day. However, we elected to avoid the bland activities and to play soccer despite the weather.

“Boys, get in the car!” Martha yelled from the parking lot. But Tyler, Luke, and I were not leaving no matter how firmly she demanded. Concord Carlisle High-school had recently developed new turf fields for their Varsity Soccer team. Essentially, it was like Christmas for us soccer studs. Being the kind and compassionate fellows, we decided to make sure that these fresh fields were up to par. When we first sat down to lace up our cleats, the rain started off as a light drizzle. But the moment we got the ball moving, the minuscule shower turned into a torrential down pour. Most people would opt to go back home. But the precipitation attracted us troopers. The rain enhanced the game with a magical effect, which a sunny day could not achieve. We stayed and loved every second of the intense down pour.

We warriors rotated through different positions. One of us playing goalie and the other two shooting, then we would mix it up. While I was shooting it was like the ball did a magic trick. The way it changed speeds the instant it made contact with the slick turf. The conditions made controlling the ball extremely challenging but we were not interested in that aspect of the game. Throughout the array of shots, we shared old stories which made us laugh and feel nostalgic about the good old days. If you were on the sidelines watching, the rain would seem cold and discomforting. But the sensation for us was on the other end of the spectrum; it was exhilarating. Surprisingly, the precipitation, along with the laughter from the stories, was a great agent to excite the body. Our rain day lasted until we could no longer see the ball. We could not believe that we even considered staying in the house on such a good day for soccer.

Through my experience I strongly believe in the message, “Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning how to dance in the rain.” On rainy days, too many people stay in the house, staring blankly out there window at the miserable gray sky. I believe that it is important to adventure and to realize that you possess the power to change a monotonous boring day into a day of puddle splashing fun. Playing soccer in the rain liberates me and it is my hope that other people find their own way to dance in the rain.