Do Whatever You Want to Do

Thomas - Groton, Massachusetts

When I was little, I had been exploring the meaning of life. One day I was resting when I was tired from doing my homework. I asked my mom, “Why do we have to study?” She said, “It is for your future. You study so that you will have a job with a lot of pay and then you can enjoy afterwards!” I went back to my room but I still felt something was missing.

What is the purpose of life? Is it just to live, eat and then die? Study and get a high salary and then die? I think life should be something more than that. There are a lot of people who work for money. However, they die and leave the money to the next generation without even having a chance to touch the money. Also, there are many people whose life is only about doing what they hate. Are those really what they want and why we live on the earth? Just to suffer and then pass away? I believe these are not how people should spend their years. They should do something more significant.

No matter my goal is to be an elite scientist who changes the world, a normal person who lives in a ordinary life or even an ambitious person who wants to conquer the world, I believe the most important thing is to enjoy my life and leave no regret after I die. This is because in my opinion, the most important person in the world is me! I have to exist to do something in the world. When I die, I lose everything I have in the world I live. Therefore, I believe that I live on the earth for only one purpose: do whatever I want and enjoy my life on the earth.

The term “to do whatever I want” is more than just only simply skipping classes when I feel like to. It means that I do things considering all possible chain reactions and trade offs involves with the process and result. In other words, I look at the whole thing rather than part of it to determine whether I want to do it. For example, although students will be forced to do a 2-hour work duty during weekend if they miss sport, some people may purposely do so for extra time on things so important that the punishment is not a problem. Also, if you are skipping an away game that takes more than two hours, you actually benefited from skipping sports. Yet, there might be some other consequences involved that can discourage you from doing so.

I believe people relish their life by doing what they want to do. If you have any goal that you think you will succeed, no matter what that is, do it and leave no regret after your decision.