Shy?

Thitiwachara - 01450, Massachusetts

People always thought of me as a shy person. The fact is, I am not shy at all. Why do people think that I am shy? Well, I must admit that I am quiet sometimes. However, in my opinion, not talking very much doesn’t mean that I am shy. In fact, I am quiet for a good reason.

The root of my quietness all started when I was a young boy. It was the night of my relative’s wedding in a hotel’s ballroom. That night, we sat at a round dinner table under a huge crystal chandelier that twinkled off cream light rays down to the people that attended the wedding. At the table, my parents had conversations on many random topics with other guests in our dinner table.

“I went to China and saw how it is growing at a skyrocketing rate” a lady in her mid fifties wearing a white dress said. As I ate and listened to her, I thought to myself that she was talking too much about herself and her experiences.

While other guests tried to join the conversation and shared their opinions, I noticed that one man did something differently. The bald man with his red tie sat and listened quietly and did not say many things about his life or on the topic of China.

After we got home, I and my dad sank onto the sofa of our living room. As my dad untied his favorite gray tie from his neck, he shot a question at me

“Out of all guests at the dinner table, who has a trait of a businessman?”.

“It’s the bald guy” my dad said without waiting for my answer.

“He only said only the things that are necessary, by doing that, other people won’t be able to read him. In the world of businesses, the lesser they know about your personalities and thoughts, the lesser ways there are for them to penetrate or to compete against you”

On the bed, I thought of what my dad has taught me. Since I was just too young, I wasn’t sure how talking too much like the lady would allow people to read me or how talking only the things that are necessary and when necessary like that man would prevent people from being able to read me. I was not completely convinced by my dad.

Later on, I decided to test the theory by saying things that are necessary and saying things only when it is necessary.

“I can’t read your personalities” said my new tutor out of the blue one day.

“Why?” I asked

“Because you only talk when you really need to” she simply replied.

At last, after many years have passed, I was convinced that my dad was right. At this moment, I believe that by saying only the things that are important and saying things only when it is necessary can prevent other people from being able to read both my personalities and my mind.