Does everything happen for a reason?

Ashley - saint charles, Illinois

Does everything happen for a reason? It was my junior year in high school and I was at brand new school trying to make new friends, while coping with the fact that I was half way across the country from my family at a boarding school in Massachusetts. However I did have one person, my older brother who at the time attended Boston College, which was only 45 minutes away from me. I had a sense of security with him so close because I knew if I needed anything he would be there. Then just about a month into the school year my world came crashing down. My brother told me he had been suspended for breaking team rules from the hockey team and was leaving BC to play professional hockey in New York. I just couldn’t wrap my head around why this happened to me. I was left with no family and the burden of my brother suspension on my shoulders. At school I had random people coming up to me that I didn’t even know and asking me why my brother was suspended. I was miserable, then, one day while I was in my room talking to my mom I realized something. I realized that this was supposed to happen. I was supposed to go through something that seemed unbearable to me but really it was only making me stronger. I was being taught a lesson that you will have hard times, but they are only meant to make you strong willed.

Just this year a fellow student of mine passed away in a car accident along with another student who is in critical condition. People questioned what did he do to deserve his life taken away from him. I honestly do believe that it happened for a reason. His death showed all of us how precious and delicate life is and how we shouldn’t take life for granted. To see someone your own age die so young really makes you question if things do happen for a reason. A lot of people didn’t think so and I even for a bit questioning myself. Why does God pick and choose? I confined in my mom during these hard times and she keep telling me that this happened for a reason. God wanted to show all of you something and she would tell me “So go out and try and find it”.

At seventeen years old I had realized that everything you go through in life and all of the hard times happen for a reason. They teach you lessons. I believe that God put us on this earth for us to make mistakes but also to learn from them and realize that in the long hall things will always work out for the best. So if you were to ask me today if I believe that everything happens for a reason today I would say; yes, I do believe everything happens for a reason.