God I believe

Colin - 03049, New Hampshire

On the drive over to the hospital there was little I could say without spewing out tears and whimpers. I was being lectured on the dangers of smoking once again by my mother who was probably in better a better emotional shape than I was. Once we arrived into his room, my grandfather was laying motionless on his bed. I couldn’t hide my fears any longer and began sobbing. My grandmother noticed and immediately tried to console me. I noticed her calm domineer and did not hesitate to question why. Her explanation was shocking, “In times likes these we need help” she explained “and I talked to God and told him how much we need him. He may not respond in the way we like, but you have to trust God and know that his decision was made for the best.” Initially I didn’t accept her response. It seemed too simple and I struggled to grasp the full idea she was offering me. I rejected the idea and did not begin to adapt it as my own method of justification until I learned about true appeal of what believing could offer me.

I believe in God. Not because of the status quo or because my family has traditionally in the past. In fact I think it has become harder now with the theory of evolution and the popular rise of atheism. I believe because God can be my solution to every problem that I’m faced with. God has always been about answer to other people, like why are we here? What is the meaning of life? However to me God is not about the answer, but more about comfort he offers. When I need someone to trust, or somebody to talk too God is always there. Whenever I’m in a difficult position I know there is somebody pray to and comfy my feelings too. God may not be a figure that I can literally speak to, but the belief of having him there provides more comfort than any person can offer. When somebody is sick or scared, the first step always taken is to prey to God for answers. We unknowingly seek advice or answer constantly whenever were uncomfortable and the easiest and most available person to do this would be God.

God may be difficult to believe in because of a lack of proof or evidence of his existence. However to me our existence itself is evidence enough to believe. We live in a complex and confusing world and having something bigger to believe in and rely on can help up get through with our lives. God provides us with a constant friend; somebody who we believe is watching over us and with trust with all our problems and seek for answers. God may not answer questions the way we want, and his very existence may be criticized greatly. However believing in God gives me strength, hope, order, helps keep me sane.