Favors

Steven - wakefield, Massachusetts

Favors

I believe you should do people favors. Really, when a favor is done, not only does it help out someone else but it also helps out you. Doing a favor for someone without the expectation of receiving anything in return is what I truly believe in. Many things can be considered a favor from lending someone money to shoveling someone’s driveway. All things considered fall under my belief. You might think that whenever you are asked a favor or get the chance to do someone a favor you would do it and I believe you should. How do you feel when someone does something you ask of them? When someone does something I ask of them I certainly appreciate it because I know they didn’t have to do it, and I can only hope I would be appreciated for something asked of me. I also know how I feel when I go out of my way and do something for someone. It makes me feel good about myself. Maybe this is a selfish belief, the reason I do favors is not only for someone else but for me? Either way that’s what I believe in.

This belief came from my dad. He never told me that I should do people favors. However, telling me about his work and the people he works with made me realize that if it weren’t for the favors he does for people and what people do for him the people in his business wouldn’t make any money. One of the things he does for work is fixing people’s house. Pretty much whatever people need done he can fix. He doesn’t have all the tools necessary for all the things that can be done to a house. Someone he knows or works with always does have the tool he needs and without a doubt will lend it to him. This is a favor because by no means do they have to lend him in some cases a very expensive tool. When he talks about his days work he’s in a good mood because he enjoys working with these types of people. He is proud to tell me that someone helped him out that day on something he couldn’t do, or the other way around. I figured that with all hard work he does and that he is mostly in a good mood because of what he does for people then I believe in doing favors. My experiences of doing a favor and feeling good about it often are favors for my dad. He really doesn’t ask much of me. So when I get a day off from school or often on the weekends I offer to help him at work. He never asks me too I do it because I know he could use a hand and afterwards it makes me feel good, and I know he feels good because I wanted to help him out.

Most recently I helped my dad fix a basement window on a house he was working on. I had Monday off from school and instead of doing nothing all day I asked if he could use me. His voice jumped a little bit and said, “Yes, I actually really do need someone’s help on this one.” He told me to take my own car to the house so I could leave whenever. We met there and unloaded his saw, some wood, and a bucket full of tools. First, we unscrewed the rusty old screws from the existing window, banged away at the old frame, made a new one and put the new window in. This all took a couple hours. We left and met at home, where I found my spot on the couch for some TV. Then after my dad already thanking me at the job site told me again,” Ya know I really appreciate you coming with me today, you don’t know how much ya helped.” Although I felt like telling him to shut up because it was a little too sentimental for my liking, it made me feel good and I could truly tell he was happy that I helped.