Censor-Free Programing, This I Believe

Daniel - Allendale, Michigan

At the pivotal point of the film, Roy Schneider, also known as Chief Brody, finds himself arched over the look out point of the Sharking Vessel the Orca, which is sinking at an alarming rate. Alone, the remaining crew assumed to be dead, Brody finds himself stalked by a gargantuan monster of a Shark. Conveinently enough however, The Giant fish seems to have a compressed air tank wedged into its mouth and Brody just so happens to have a rifle to defend himself. So as this monster that has wreaked havoc upon this small island town, shuttles toward him, Brody retaliates with vengeance. He shoots once, misses, the music gaining momentum in unison with the pace of the fish. His next shoot glances to the right, the audience is on the edge of their seat as music becomes more and more triumphant. Then, at the moments climax, Brody stares right into the monster’s eye and exclaims, “Smile, You Son of a …Female Dog…” The replacement words are dubbed over badly, giving the appearance that Brody’s mouth and voice are not quite on the same page. Then the bullet collides with the air tank blowing up the shark, turning one of the greatest quotes in film history quickly into a virtual laughing stock.

I can’t imagine a media output that has never been involved in a controversy involving censorship. This issue is like that of flypaper, drawing views and opinions of all shapes and sizes. I suppose the million-dollar question boils down to the fundamental reason as to why humans feel the need to censor. And the answer is simple, protection, and even more specifically, protecting their young. Parents want to make sure that they can contain their children from the truths of the world as long as necessary, in a futile effort to protect the innocence that all children are assumed to have since birth. The one problem with the parental logic is that the majority of media consumers in the world are in fact adult. And unfortunately, the youth of America tends to learn of life’s dangers with or without the media.

I would assume my problem with censorship stems from the mass hysteria caused by inconvenient wardrobe malfunctions. The hysteria is comparable to that of the red scare to the point where the prime objective is to censor life. It would seem that the preferable statement would be for me to say, “Who the synonym for fornication left their synonym for excrement on my synonym for fornicating desk. It just becomes excessive when little red riding hood could be banned in certain schools due to the fact that she is clearly a minor and therefore should not be taking wine to her grandmother. In the end, it’s the parent’s responsibility not the FCC, to warn their children of all the dangers in the world, so that when they have grown, they can make the choice for themselves. The power of the parent, this I believe.