What I believe from God to me and everything in between

Pace - Atlanta, Georgia

In the grand scheme of things I believe there is purpose and order to the universe. I choose to call that something that provided this purpose and order God. Frankly I think it highly arrogant of those that say there is no God because that puts man at the top of the food chain and given the complexity of the universe and our extremely limited understanding of how it works, much less how our own planet works, there is no way we are the highest level of intelligence. I believe there is Good and Evil because that is the only way I can understand the atrocities that some people will do to others. I believe that some people are born without a conscience and others are abused to the point that they have difficulty discerning right from wrong, but that does not explain Nazi Germany, genocide in Rwanda, ethnic cleansing in Bosnia etc… I also believe in the old adage that the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.

I believe that I don’t fully understand why many individuals of the Islamic faith blame America and Americans for their problems to the point where nothing short of our annihilation will satisfy them. I believe that many of their problems are the result of poor leadership from the rulers of the various middle eastern nations where they live. Could not the vast amounts of wealth pouring in to many of these nations, fueled in large part by our insatiable desire for their natural resources, have been used to provide a better life for many instead of incredible wealth for a few.

I do believe I understand why many in the world consider us a greedy and wasteful nation. In many ways we are, but I also believe that we are now and have been for quite some time the primary guardians of freedom, civil rights, democracy, human dignity etc… What kind of world would we be living in if our nation decided to only take care of it’s own people? It does not justify our greedy wasteful ways, but as the primary protectors of the free world some of our use of the planets natural resources I believe to have been necessary.

National, State and Local

I believe we need leadership willing to tell the us the truth about the future we might possibly face if we don’t change the way we do many things instead of pandering to our own petty wants. I also believe that our two party political system, while in many ways one of the best in the world, is seriously flawed. I believe that in order to raise the money to get elected politicians have to sell out their beliefs thinking that once elected they will be able to do what they believe in. I believe that it never works out that way because once you sell out it’s like the old joke where the guy asks the girl if she will sleep with him for a million dollars. She says yes.Then he asks if she will for ten dollars and she says ‘what kind of girl do you think I am?’ and he responds that we have established what kind of person you are and now we are simply haggling over price. Our best and brightest are not our leaders and many of our leaders are corrupted by the money of lobbyists for special interests.

I believe in personal responsibility. I believe that our legal system teaches individuals to avoid personal responsibility. The legal system encourages individuals to deny any wrongdoing regardless of the truth and instead rely on legal manuveurs to obscure the truth and delay the proceedings. I am tired of the often used phrase ‘if I have offended anyone I apologize’. There is no if in an apology. I believe that fair is fair, right is right and honest is honest and while there are some gray areas in life most situations and decisions can be boiled down to is it fair to all concerned, does it feel like the right thing to do and am I being honest in my dealings with others. I believe that this is one of the most important things I hope to teach my children.