Little People

Sara - Danville, California
Themes: children

I believe in the power of young children. I believe in their accepting nature. I believe in their curiosity. And I believe in their innocence.

Young children are unaware of name brands, hair styles, and how much money their family has. Their true focus is having fun and being friendly. I met a young girl Kaylee not too long ago. She has more charisma than my whole high school combined. She runs into the room and instantly befriends everyone, from babies to fifth graders, and they all want a piece of her. She invites them all to play princess or Spiderman with her as she hands out their roles in the game, never letting anyone feel left out. It’s amazing that within seconds of meeting children become best friends regardless of age or gender. They begin playing and talking together as if they have known each other for years. I believe in accepting everyone, and as a young adult I admire this quality in young children, because I have seen this type of acceptance in others slip away through the years.

Maylin, a 2 year old girl I know, has a question about everything. She even has questions about questions, and I absolutely adore her for it. I love her curiosity and I embrace her questions, even when ten of them fly out in a row. As the years have passed I’ve noticed fewer questions being asked by my peers and adults around me. I believe in being curious about the world that surrounds me, not ignoring my questions for fear of sounding foolish. I want to know about everything in the world, every story, and every detail behind it all, just like my curious little friend Maylin.

Young children don’t feel anger, jealousy, or sadness in the sense adults do. Children can be easily consoled with a toy or a candy bar. They are so caring and trusting and it’s all due to their innocence. Colin, like most young children would experience separation anxiety whenever his mom would drop him off at child care. Lying on the floor he would cry and wouldn’t let anyone touch him. I sat on the floor with him and began talking to him about his favorite ice cream, his sister, and his favorite toys. I couldn’t understand much of what he was saying, but he calmed right down. Now he runs in the room screaming my name, tells his mom to leave, and doesn’t shed a tear. And when he has to say goodbye, he wraps his little arms around my knees and says “ood-bye aira.” I believe that this kind of love and trust is unconditional and vanishes as we continue through life.

I believe in the power of young children. I believe in their ability to teach adults the truly admirable qualities in life. And I believe in their power to make all of us adults look just plain dumb.