Purpose

Liz - Mars, Pennsylvania

Purpose

I believe that everyone and everything in this world has a purpose, everyone has a reason that God put them on earth. For instance, a musician is obviously put on this earth to help people in whatever way their music can influence others lives. People often squander their god-given talent that could potentially change someone’s path in life. I truly believe that one person can affect many lives and that everyone can use their gifts to the best of their ability so that they can touch whomever they are supposed to reach. In my case, I believe I am here to help children with mental disabilities.

My first encounter with helping children with mental disabilities was when I enrolled in the S.O.A.R program through the local YMCA. It made it possible for me to recognize how rewarding it is to help children with mental disabilities. I was specifically working with this kid named Will; he was diagnosed with down-syndrome. Will has a lot of difficulty receiving directions and then following them when he was told them by adults. I then lead by example, (the task was dribbling a basketball) and taught him what the motions felt like. And to the instructors and my surprise, he was actually able to do it! I worked with him for a few months and one day he said I was his best friend. It was certainly of those moments I wish that I could replay over and over again in my head. Because, at that point, I realized my being there made a difference in Will’s life.

I believe that my purpose in life is to help children with mental disabilities. And how that I’m in the high school I am in the Peer Buddies program that helps children with mental disabilities in a classroom setting. I believe that I have found what I was created to do, and I also encourage that everyone looks within themselves as well and consider what God made them to do and follow it, despite whether it makes a lot of money or not because a gift should not be wasted.