America is Lazy

Andrew - Hinsdale, Illinois

America is a country of diversity. However, one characteristic is almost uniform, and that’s laziness.

Having been an avid runner for six years, I’ve always taken good care of my body. I watch what I eat and make sure I get good nutrition. I exercise at a high level six to seven days a week for most of the year. My track teammates and many others commit to this active lifestyle, too.

However, this is not typical of Americans. Most Americans aren’t healthy. They’re not active. When I go out for a run, I don’t see nearly as many people walking their dogs or jogging as it seems like there should be. Instead, I see the reflection of television screens on windows of houses as I run past. I see people driving to friends’ houses two blocks away. I see people eating their Big Macs and French fries while driving their cars home from a lackluster, sedentary, and comfortable job.

That’s what it’s all about for Americans- comfort. It’s about leading an easy life without obstacles. By in large, we Americans like to sit in our La-Z-Boy recliners, stuffing our faces with junk food, sure to clog our arteries and pack on the pounds, watch TV, play videogames for hours on end, and surf the net. These things are okay in moderation, but Americans today have no regard for proportion.

Americans are too lazy to exercise and drop the weight they put on from their hibernation during the winter months. Instead they want the quick fix: the diet pills, the weight-loss surgery, and the ten-minute-a-week “exercise” plans.

Americans would rather watch a baseball game than play one. They’d rather eat fast food, proven to be unhealthy, than take the time to prepare a healthier alternative. They’d rather sit on the computer than go outside, because apparently leaving the house is too strenuous. It’s easier to sit inside and do nothing. That’s the mentality that we Americans have adopted.

Being active requires the right mindset. You need to have motivation, but also restraint. You need to exercise good judgment in taking care of your body and in how you go about your daily routine. America is not motivated. It does not have restraint. America does not use good judgment. Just because it is more convenient to take the elevator, that doesn’t mean you have to. Stairs work perfectly fine. Self-motivation and self-reliance seems to have been thrown to the waste-side.

I’m not perfect. Although I’m normally very active, I can be found sleeping on my couch, TV remote in hand, somewhat often over the summer months. It seems that laziness an inherent characteristic of humans, and this accounts for a portion of America’s problem. Throughout history, there have always been efforts to make various aspects of life easier and more efficient. However, I would argue that there is a line between efficiency and laziness, and Americans have long surpassed it without so much as glancing back.