Bonding with Movies

Gregory - San Ramon, California

Some adults believe that movies are pointless and a waste of time, but I believe it is more than just colored pixels blinking in and out of a moving picture. I came to this realization in middle school, when my best friend and I were old enough to wander around the movie theater by ourselves. We would enjoy and relish the time away from our parents. Therefore, I believe movies are the bond between any types of relationships.

I want you, personally, to think back to a time that you had a memorable movie experience, whether or not it was with your family or friends. What was enjoyable about it? Was it the laughs and giggles, the smell of the butter popcorn and candy? When did this take place? It doesn’t matter because you went to the movies through out your life. Who did you go with? Was that person someone that was a good friend, sibling, or loved one? Did you think of multiple occasions? This is what movies do; they bring people together and leave great memories.

In high school, I had a group consisting of four of my closest friends. We would schedule a movie after finals, for birthdays, for holidays, and sometimes they were just for no reason. We would have a great time at the movies. It didn’t matter what genre the movie was because we loved them all! We would bring in yummy Jamba Juice or Cold Stone into the theater. We would also buy popcorn with extra delicious butter and candy from the counter. Walking into the nice and cool movie theater was just the beginning. Gliding up the nicely lit steps is like god guiding us to our beloved seats. Weaseling our way through the crowd was always the most fun because it was ridiculous. Just imagine four clumsy high school students saying “Excuse me” and “I’m sorry” with our hands filled with snacks and drinks. We would laugh loudly or cowl in each other’s arms depending on the genre. At the end of the night, I couldn’t help to feel like there is a bond within our friendship, a bond that was forged within our hearts by sharing wonderful experiences together.

I believe that movies acts like an adhesive for a relationship. Movies have been around for a long time and it stays with us even after we left the theater. Through out our lives, we visit the movie theaters time and time again. Those memories will stay within our hearts even past death. And this is why I believe in the power and effects of movies.