I believe in Huey

Kelsy - Tempe, Arizona

I believe in imagination. Imagining things that no one else can imagine. I believe in creating something from a pigment of the many colors in my mind. Stories, friends, adventures, memories, experiences and dreams; all combined into a pot of creativity outlining my thoughts. Peter Pan fighting my fears or mermaids swimming through my veins are all part of this magical place, this magical mind’s eye. Without my imagination I would not be me. I would not be able to laugh, cry, or shiver from fictional stories or movies. I would not be able to dream of things that can only happen in fairytale settings and I would have never had my good ol’ imaginary friend, Huey.

Huey helped me take care of my baby dolls, played tea party with me and sat by my side during every Lion King session. Only problem with Huey is that he was not real. From ages two to four I had a best friend that was simply a figment of my imagination and invisible to others. I remember Huey being small and looking similar to Pee Wee Herman. I would yell at my older sister and her friends for sitting on him and always had to get reassurance that Huey was their friend too. As weird as it was that I had a small, invisible version of Pee Wee Herman as my best friend, Huey kept me company and loved me when I felt alone.

Eventually I grew out of Huey and he disappeared from my mind. I went to kindergarten, met new friends, and left Huey behind. I grew up, learned new things and used my imagination for other creations during my childhood. I created crazy works of art, wrote mystery stories that gave me chills and focused more on the older kid stuff; crushes on boys, the Spice Girls, sleepovers with friends, and my favorite episodes of Growing Pains. Huey had completely evaporated from my life and all I had to remember him by were stories.

Now, I think back to my childhood and wonder why I ever created Huey in the first place. It could be the fact that there were no kids living on my street growing up and that I did not have a younger sister to pick on until I was six. Yet, I still wonder what my life would have been like without Huey. He was the center of my world, my whole imagination formed into one tiny, fake person. He created smiles, tea parties, memories, and pictures in my mind that made my amazing childhood. Now, a senior in high school, I have more friends than I could have ever imagined when I was younger, a creative hand for art, a mind that thinks outside of the box, and a natural ability to create fairytales. I credit my entire creativeness to Huey. I salute him for teaching me to love music, art, and literature. I wish I could thank him for broadening my thoughts and giving me the ability to be different than other people my age. I love him for helping me fight my fears, playing with the mermaids swimming through my veins, and being the Peter Pan of my childhood.

The most important thing I learned from Huey is that it is okay to have an imaginary friend. It is okay to let the imagination flow and be the foundation of all creations. It is okay to be different than others. And most importantly, it is okay to dream of things that can only happen in my head. I would not be the person I am today if Huey had not been my friend for those two short years of my life. I have been made fun of in the past by my family and close friends who know all of the stories and adventures that I embarked upon with Huey by my side. People reading this essay might think it is crazy that an imaginary person could have influenced my life this much. However, it is the idea behind Huey that has influenced me the most. Knowing that my imagination created a whole person in my life gives me inspiration and encouragement that my creativity can do wonders; that my dreams can one day become a reality. My imaginary friend turned into REAL friends and my creative thoughts are spread through stories and memories that I share with others.

The lesson learned is that people should believe in the possibilities that the imagination can bring. It can be in the lyrics of a song that create a melody of uniqueness. It can be the words on the pages of a fictional novel. It can be the colors of paint used to decorate a home or the blueprint of a house or a garden. Imagination can be anything. For me, my imagination is Huey. I believe in Huey.