Matthew - surprise, Arizona

I’m sure that everyone has felt some sort of special connection with someone in the world that they care for deeply. At some point people feel a connection with family, friends, or complete strangers that can even freak you out at times. Intuition and the human brain are fascinating things, and most people don’t even realize it. It can be something as simple as finishing another person’s sentences, or giving them a call when you get the feeling they need someone to talk to. I used to write things like this off to coincidence until I had an experience like this that gave me a feeling I’ve never felt before. A feeling of sincerity, relief, sadness, and a form of pity all mixed together. My name is Matthew Castrovinci, and I believe we are all connected through intuition.

I met one of my two best friends when I was in the 6th grade. After a few months of friendship it was clear that we were meant to be friends with how alike we were. Our childhoods were a incredibly similar with the status of our parents and grandparents, number of siblings, and even where we grew up. After three years of friendship we started high school together and remained close. My friend had been the kid who was always in trouble for something with teachers and sometimes even with the law. He always seemed to be the shy kid, which made it so he was a little bit of an outsider. During the first few years of high school is when we developed our intuitive feelings for one another. It wasn’t until our junior year that I really started to notice how close we were and how well we knew each other.

During the first few months of junior year my friend and I worked together at a little Mexican food restaurant called Coconos. One night in the beginning of November I was working by myself when I felt my cell phone start ringing in my pocket. When I looked at my phone it showed that my friend was the one calling me. I didn’t think much of it at first and just kind of went back to working. Then I started to get this feeling in the pit of my stomach about 20 minutes later that something was wrong with my friend and I needed to call him back. So I called him and when he picked up he had a sense of desperation in his voice and he seemed a little surprised that I called him back. When I asked him what was going on all he would tell me was “I had a fight with my parents I need you to come and pick me up.” After convincing my boss to let me go and get him, I took off to go and pick him up from his house. The entire 20 minute drive back to work he didn’t say anything, and he just sat in the passenger seat shaking a little bit. I figured he was just very angry with everything that had happened that night with his parents.

My friend sat at the bar at work while I finished my shift, and we left at about 10:30 that night. He seemed to be in a better mood while we were getting into my car so I could take him home. On the drive home my friend turned off the radio and said he had to tell me something. I was nowhere near prepared for what he was going to tell me, but not knowing what it was I told him to go ahead. My friend had planned to kill himself that night and was walking down his block to a field to do it when he got my phone call back. The rest of the ride home after my friend’s confession is not very clear to me anymore. When he pulled up to his house he turned to me and said “Thank you for calling me back.” Then he just walked into his house, leaving me there absolutely floored by this one talk I had with my best friend. That one sentence my friend said to me that night is the one thing I know for sure I will never forget the rest of my life. Time moves on, and I’m glad to say my friend no longer has any suicidal tendencies.

My friend and I are still as close as we’ve ever been in the seven years we’ve been friends. He’s since moved out of his parent’s poisonous environment and in with my family and I. I will never forget that day and how much it shook me up when he told me what he was planning to do. Following my gut feeling and calling him back when I did is the reason why he is still alive today. He has a good job and plans to start attending college with me in the fall semester. We’re always there for each other and we will continue to do that for the rest of our lives.