Chelsea Squares

Philip - Acton, Massachusetts

I believe in camaraderie because even if your team doesn’t excel you know they are relying on you to put all of your effort and skill on the field next time you play, and because once you have this tight connection on the field you become almost family off of it.

We are 12 seniors on the soccer team and we have been pretty much the same team since sophomore year. We spend most of our time in the fall together between practices, traveling to games, playing, and other team activities. Our common interest on the sports field translates to an unbreakable bond off of the field. We hangout together and know if we are feeling down there will always be a teammate to pick you back up.

For the past two summers the week before pre-season at Lawrence we have traveled down to Cape Cod as a team and spent the week at a team camp with 5 other ISL soccer teams. Each day we practice as a team, play a game as a team, and sleep in the same cabin as the rest of our team. This camp isn’t the nicest place in the world. The cabin has holes in the floors, and showers full of cobwebs. However from living together and playing all day together we foster a relationship with the rest of the team that nobody can every take away. The second day that we were at camp we split our team into two groups and we ran the Chelsea Square. The Chelsea Square is an array of sprinting and jogging and goes on for about 25 minutes between the two groups. It was the single hardest thing I have ever done to me body and afterwards I felt like I legs were stuck in cement and I would never move them again. Everybody kept on going as hard as they could for the whole drill because we all knew that everybody was in just as much pain, and that we would make it thought as a team.

We knew everyone was experiencing the same sensation of having your legs feel like Jell-o, and the pain of feeling that your calves are going to fall off of your leg. However these physical pains along with the mental struggles of knowing nobody expects you to win have only brought us tighter together as a unit. We motivate each other by proving to each other how hard we are each willing to work just to get a little better. Only for a group of people that mean so much to you will each person voluntarily push their body and mind to the limit and beyond and because of this willingness to do whatever it takes we have developed our incredible sense of comradeship.

We have become more than friends and teammates, we have turned into brothers who will sacrifice everything for each other on the field, and do whatever they can to help each other off the field. Because of the bond that I have formed with these players I have come to believe in camaraderie.