chris - groton, Massachusetts

A lot of people talk about how the use of guns is “dangerous” and how they only kill people. I am not going to restate the NRA’s quotes, but I believe guns don’t kill people, people kill people If guns are to be blamed for killing people, than why can’t I blame my less than decent grades on my bic pen? If some one is killed, it is not the gun’s fault. Intentionally hitting someone with a car and shooting someone are both homicides. Does that mean we should have a 7 day waiting period on cars too? This does not make any sense to me; people wishing to ban guns don’t believe in free America, it is called socialism.

I believe in guns. Guns have been winning wars and saving lives for hundreds of years and I do not understand how we could thrive as a country without them. I shoot guns all the time out of my barn and I believe it is the way America should be. I got into guns with the help of my grandfathers. I have grown up with them teaching me gun safety and proper use. I remember the first time I shot. I was in my grandfather’s back yard with a .22 single shot plinker. The targets were tin cans 25 yards away and by the end of the day the cans were full of holes. It was a great experience for me because it made me feel more American with power and control, in a way I have never felt before.

Firearms started America. Colonists had to rise up against British rule. Farmers and working colonists took up arms in order to become a new nation and they succeeded. After the win, the second amendment was passed which states, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” this is a simple fact of American life, and a god given right that shall never be changed.

I like to shoot things, it makes me feel good. I know that guns scare some people, but they actually make me feel good, knowing that I will always be able to protect myself and my house. The wooden stock against my cheek, looking down range clears my head and helps me think about more important things in life other than everyday schoolwork schedules.

My friend’s house was broken into in Wellesley this past summer. She was home alone while babysitting her little sister. There was a loud bang upstairs and footsteps that were too loud to be her sister’s. The police were notified as soon as the window alarm went off and the burglar was gone. Wellesley is thought to be a safe town, but this can happen anywhere. I have a little brother also, and I babysit him all the time. I cannot imagine what would happen if someone broke into my house while I was alone with Bobby. I know that a criminal who breaks into someone’s house is a bad guy and has all intentions of getting out with the loot in any way he can. Anyway he can means hurting or killing the owners, even if there is no argument. I would not want Bobby to be hurt so a weapon would be our only defense. Words could not be used against a guy high on adrenaline with jail in his sights. Him, and other criminals prefer unarmed victims, so the only way to not become a victim is to be armed.