Nicki

Jamie - North Andover, Massachusetts
Themes: family, purpose

The television was blaring, and loved ones surrounded my lake house on just another summer night. Eight years old and I got the news. My mom and dad said, “Jamie, Cassie and Cody, follow us into the other room.” Everyone started breaking out in smiles, I had no idea what they were about to tell us. My body started sweltering in the summer heat. We sat in the desolate room, and my mom said with a big smile on her face, “We are having a baby!” Cassie and Cody, who were ten and six at the time, started jumping up and down with excitement. I froze with no emotion. I didn’t know whether to express my feelings of not wanting a little brother or sister, or to sit there and pretend everything was fine. I revealed how I felt, but tried to hold in my tears. The first words that came out of my mouth were, “I don’t want you guys to have one. I want to be the middle child forever.” My parents embraced me, while Cassie and Cody whined in the back, “why not, why not.” I stayed stubborn, showing one of the qualities that the middle child usually holds. I thought nothing would change my mind on having another younger sibling. But once the day came, and Nicki was born, she changed my life forever.

Nicki is the glue in our family, she is now eight years old with blonde hair that you can see from a mile away. She’s my biggest fan and supporter, and without her I couldn’t get through. I live at home throughout high school because I can’t imagine what it would be like to miss out on four years of her life. I rush home every night just to relax and watch our favorite show together, Friends. We splurge on making cupcakes together and whenever I need someone, she is always there. Even as an eight year old she always has the right thing to say. She is always my shoulder to cry on. I want to be a great role model for her, her backbone and her biggest fan. Without Nicki I wouldn’t be where I am today. Although I believed I didn’t want a younger sibling to come into what I thought was a completed family, it all happened for a reason, my mom getting pregnant and Nicki changing our family for the best. Nicki came into this world for a reason.

I believe everything happens for a reason. We all think we want one thing, but in the end we end up somewhere else, and we couldn’t see life any other way. I didn’t want to have another sibling. I wanted to keep the three musketeers together forever, but that wasn’t in the game plan. We upgraded to the fantastic four. If my mom had not gotten pregnant and followed through with a life changing decision to our family, then I wouldn’t have the most amazing younger sister that I have today. The greatest gifts are those of the unexpected.