Alyssa - Evansville, Indiana

I believe that a smile can brighten anyone’s day. Smiles radiate happiness from a person’s face and pass it along to another. They are contagious from person to person. I know that everyone has bad days, even tragic days where people feel like their world is crumbling down around them. I have had bad days just like the next person, but a smile from a friendly face can help make that bad feeling disappear.

Not too long ago, my aunt died and I was having a rough day. I was just walking by myself, minding my own business, when a stranger smiled at me. At that point, I realized I should be focusing on the present, celebrating the past, but not dwelling on it. I realized there is too much happiness in this world not to be enjoying it.

Occasionally, friends of mine have bad days. Sometimes they do not want to talk about it, so there is very little I can do to help. A smile goes a long way. Although a smile does not fix everything, it tells people that you care and that means a great deal to them.

Smiling is also a way to help improve your own mood. Tests have shown that the more a person smiles the more content they seem to be with their lives. You could be surprised how smiling just a little more than normal has the ability to improve your self-esteem and your general outlook on life.

Making eye contact with someone and giving a simple, sincere smile has the power to make others feel better about themselves. You never know who is having a bad day and who is having a good day. Lifting a person’s spirit on a bad day makes that day just a little more memorable. A smile can brighten anyone’s day. This, I believe.