My Life Philosophy

Stephen - Tracy, California
Themes: golden rule

My Life Philosophy

The life philosophy that I go by is “Do unto others as you want them to do unto you.” This is a very old saying that my parents told me about when I was younger. I had problems not fighting other kids when I was in kindergarten because I would get picked on so much. One day when I came home after a fight and a nice trip to the office, my parents sat me down and straightened me out. They told me that I couldn’t treat others like they were my personal punching bags because this is not the way that I would want to be treated. When I first heard them say this I became angry, not at them but at the situation. If these other kids were going to make fun of me for no reason then why couldn’t I teach them a lesson? It would be the best way to get them to stop right? Well, when I grew older and gave this life philosophy a try I found that it worked pretty well. The people wouldn’t treat exactly as I would treat them, but they definitely treated me better, or would be nicer to me if you will. I was no longer the kid that got picked on, I made a ton of new friends, and everybody started to think of me as one of the nicest kids in school.

I believe that this philosophy that my parents instilled upon me can also be very beneficial to others as well. Think about it, if you were treating people the way you want to be treated all the time then a positive outcome would be very probable. If you were just like me and didn’t have many friends due to unpopularity, then what else can you do? I already didn’t have any friends and fighting off the possible friends wasn’t helping me any, so I figured I needed to try something different. This also applies to other people, if what you are doing isn’t working then go ahead and just try it. It’s a very easy way to make friends and an even better way to keep the ones that you already have. Take it from me, this really works and can really turn your life around. With this life philosophy adopted you will find yourself not only getting treated better, but treating others better as well. At the time I didn’t want to believe that this would work, but now that I am older I appreciate what my parents told me and I am so grateful for it. I don’t think that I would have as many friends as I do now if I didn’t learn this lesson.

Okay, I know that everybody has probably heard this philosophy, but I wonder how many actually take it to heart and think about it? If you really buy into this and strive to treat other people with the respect that they deserve, then it will certainly be returned. And even if it isn’t, there is a simple solution on how to deal with those unpleasant people. Don’t associate yourself with them, if they don’t want to treat you with respect and return your kind behavior, then you need to look for people that will, for they are the true friends.