I Believe In Music In My Family

Maria - San Antonio, Texas

I Believe in Music in My Family

I believe that music can be a uniting force in families.

It has been in my family for as long as I can remember. Through life’s hardships and difficulties music, above all, has been the anchor that has kept us from drifting away.

Music became an essential part of my life at a young age. This passion began simply when y parents introduced countless numbers of classical musicals to my siblings and I. This quickly became an obsession. We would watch several of them everyday, and not long after, we found ourselves singing along to memorable tunes like “Spoonful of Sugar” from Mary Poppings and “My Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music, our all time favorite.

As the passion grew in all of us, so did a special bond. Music became a way for us to spend time together, to love, and to understand each other in a way that we couldn’t have otherwise. This unique bond would carry us later in life through incredibly tough times when political and economic crisis in our home country would force us thousands of miles from each other. Though it is rare that we ever get to be together more than once a year, my siblings are present in my everyday life. When I listen to the songs that we played or sung together it takes me back to those times where we would make music as a family.

I believe that music has kept my family closer together than ever, though thousands of miles apart.