Michael - Evansville, Indiana

Technology is king. I love my laptop. I cannot live without my flat screen television. I do not know what I would do if I lost my Internet Tablet. It only took a week to get another Xbox 360, but in that week I felt as though I wanted to strangle someone. One of my cell phones has a built-in MP3 player and I absolutely love it. I bought a bigger memory card to go in it just so I can listen to my top 188 songs. The battery only lasts about eight hours, which is not nearly enough time to listen to all of my music.

Not only does technology control my life, it enriches my life and the lives of others. I use my laptop to do homework. I stay connected with my family and friends with my cell phones. I get news updates and check my e-mail from school with my Internet Tablet. I use my television to keep in touch with the outside world. I destroy alien invaders and keep the Earth safe with my Xbox. Hospitals use technology to keep people alive. They have pacemakers, defibrillators, and ECG machines to keep your heart going and monitor it, equipment they did not have 200 years ago. We can cure diseases that in the past seemed incurable and we owe it all to technology. That is why I believe technology makes the world better.

In my opinion, there are some bits of technology that do not improve life, such as the heated toilet seat, and those that do, such as medication to cure illness that were thought to be incurable. I do not appreciate money and time wasted on a heated toilet seat when it could be spent on advancing beneficial technologies. I do appreciate the advances in medicine and other advances in weaponry. The technologies provided through these two paths are amazing. The military now has the capability of guns that fire many rounds in one barrel. Hospitals and pharmaceutical companies are producing more medications a year than ever before! Technology is taking us into the future.

My simplest definition for technology would be that the object in question contains at least plastic or silicone. Even though an object makes a task simpler, that does not imply it is technology. It could just as likely be an instrument or a tool. Technology requires batteries, more often than not. More than 200 years ago there was not any technology. I believe this to be because there were not any batteries available…… The conclusion is in my reflections because I did not want to go over the 500 word mark.