Melissa - Clarendon Hills, Illinois

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry I didn’t even see you there,” one of the most common responses after an accident, one of which I had heard following a ridiculous vehicle collision. Before I started driving I never noticed anything other people on the road did or how extremely annoying it was. When I was in the car I never understood why the person driving would get so angry at other drivers.

It all changed when I got my license and was able to drive on my own. The one experience that made me really start to notice and get mad at other drivers occurred in a McDonald’s drive through a couple months after I got my license. I drove up to the restaurant’s drive through lane right behind a Ford Expedition. No more than 30 seconds after I stopped in the drive through, the woman in front of me put her car in reverse and gunned it into the front of my car, causing my hood and bumper to get crushed. She told me that she forgot to order an extra cheeseburger. I personally do not understand how someone can really do something that thoughtless.

Another thing that other people do that makes me mad is never using their blinkers while constantly changing lanes. People will be driving and changing lanes trying to get around others the entire time, though they really don’t get ahead of anyone else on the road. All that their method of driving accomplishes is angering other drivers who have to slow down when they get cut off and watch out so they don’t end up getting into an accident.

The last thing I hate is when people drive five or more miles per hour under the speed limit. There is a speed limit for a reason, you are supposed to go that fast when on that street, not any less just because you are elderly, a new driver, or a poorly skilled driver. Following the speed limit isn’t something that requires any kind of mental capacity.

People constantly make me mad while I am driving, but it has actually taught me something. I believe that we can learn from inconsiderate people and better ourselves. There really aren’t very many things that take much thought and consideration while driving a car, but some people just disregard them completely. Each time someone does some kind of a thoughtless maneuver, I just want to stop them and ask them, why and how, but I hold back because their actions just show me what I should not do to others. Things that occur in life should be a learning experience, showing you what to do and not do to others. Watching people drive like idiots has given me some entertainment at times, though I wonder just how thoughtless someone can really get.