Music’s In My Soul

Rachel - Clarendon Hills, Illinois

Music’s in My Soul

Have you ever wondered about how music affects you? I have more recently found that music has become a central part of who I am. I’ve found that there is a song for everything in life, you just have to listen. Music doesn’t have to have words either; all you need is a tune. Whether you like Country, Alternative, Hip-Hop/Rap, Rock, Electronic, whatever kind it is, it’s all music and it all has power just the same. This is why I believe in the power of music.

I remember recently when music was a powerful moment in time for me. I was listening to my iPod while I was getting ready for Homecoming this year when the song “Best Days” by Graham Colton came on. Without realizing it, I tuned into the words of the song.

“With everything I’ve ever done

I’d give it all to everyone for one more day

Another night I’m waking through

Another door I walk into

I can’t break

It’s a winding road

It’s a long way home

So don’t wait for someone to tell you it’s too late

Cuz these are the best days

There’s always something tomorrow

So I say let’s make the best of tonight

Here comes the rest of our lives”

I stopped in my tracks and started to cry. I realized that these were the best days and there were so few of them left. I had grasped the fact that the rest of our lives were just over the horizon and it was approaching faster and faster every second. As I stood there in my dress and heels, I looked up at myself in the mirror in my bathroom, wiped off my tears, and then I made a promise to myself, that I wasn’t going to take any of the next days of high school for granted, I want them to be the best. Then, I changed the song to “Let It Rock” by Kevin Rudolf and let the music absorb all my sadness and only let excitement and happiness shine through.

Music gets me through a lot of stuff that happens in life-the good, the bad and the everyday. It helps me cope with what occurs in my life, especially stress and sadness. But, it also reminds me of the good times. When I listen to certain songs, if I close my eyes, I see a slideshow of pictures from my memory, moments my mind froze in time so that I could file them away and revisit them when I’m lonely, upset or just want to remember those times that you just flat out laughed until you cried. To remember the laughter and good times spent with those I hold so dear to my heart is something that wouldn’t come as easily without the power of music.

I find music helps to bring people of all walks of life together; bands them the way I think the world should be. Music is something everyone understands; even if it is in a language you don’t know, you can comprehend which emotion you are suppose to feel when the song is played. It takes over your body and soul to move you and make you feel different things that are expressed. It tells a story and communicates emotion through the lyrics, rhythm and sounds. It’s the universal language, that’s why I believe in the power of music.