Karma Happens

Stephanie - Lexington, Missouri

Karma Happens

This I believe… What you do to others will come back to you and this, my friends, is karma. Karma can be good or bad; its effects are not always seen immediately.

The way I believe karma works is when you do something positive, like helping your elderly neighbor in with her groceries, the positive energy will be returned back to you at a later time. It may not always seem like you are getting what you put out. For example, you have been spending all your fee time helping friends move in to their new house, and a few days later you finally find that set of car keys you lost two months ago. Karma does not work on a point basis; you do not get five points for this and ten for that, so that you can save them up for a time when you need them. You usually get your payback at a time when you least expect it.

Just like everything, karma has a good and bad side. When you do negative things, they will come back to bite you in the butt. The biggest difference about positive and negative karma is the negative always seems to rear its ugly head when you least need it.

In my own life, I have seen the effects of karma on a pretty regular basis. I have noticed when I am driving in a bad mood, it never fails that I am late in getting where I am supposed to be. I can leave early and something will happen, whether it is a car wreck that slows down traffic or just unexpected road construction. I have also experienced the rewards of good karma; when I am in a good mood at work and being nice to everyone, my days just seem to run smoother. That is not to say that problems do not arise, but when they do, they are more easily resolved. I try to go through my days making positive impacts, but that does not always happen; I am only human after all.

Most of the time, karma is just shrugged off as luck, whether good or bad. People do not like to believe what they are doing to others will have any effect on themselves. Just remember the next time someone needs some help and you are not in the greatest mood, you could rise above your initial reaction to say no or be rude and do something positive. You never know what will come back to you.