The Worst Way to Live Your Life

Shaina - Clinton Twp., Michigan
Themes: addiction

The Worst Way to Live

A cigarette is a pipe with a fire at one end and a fool at the other.

–Anonymous

Millions of people stop smoking every year. Unfortunately, they do not do so voluntarily. They die. It astonishes me the amount of people that think that it is something fun to do, and yet, before they know it they will be catching some horrible disease. In a way, I think that is funny. People choose to die by doing something dumb, instead of living life to the fullest. When I see a smoker, I think of what they are doing to their lives.

It really turns me off when I see people smoking in public. Not only do I think that it is disgusting, but the stench gets to me. I was sitting at a booth with my family in a restaurant. We were all ordering our food and getting our appetizers. I started eating the huge mozzarella sticks and next thing I know, I almost started choking. It was not on the cheese though, but rather that the person behind me was blowing out smoke that came from their cigarette. Personally, if I am going out to dinner, I want it to be fun and relaxing, not to the point where I am holding my breath. It is really going to stink for those people when their favorite restaurants have new “no smoking” signs on the doors, and they will no longer be able to enjoy a dinner without taking in a few puffs afterwards.

In a way, I can understand why people would smoke a long time ago, but nowadays, I just don’t understand. With all the new technology and advertisements showing that it is bad for you, people still choose to smoke. There are so many commercials and billboards that give you options on different ways of how to stop or control it. It really bothers me after school when I am walking out to my sister’s car after a long day at school and I see kids that I know smoking. It’s kind of like there is a smoking party in the parking lot. Of course, these are careless kids who don’t think. I watch in pity, and then just continue walking. Not only is it a dumb thing to do, but it is also against the law to smoke on school grounds. Could you imagine them in school and how bad their breath and clothing must smell. That is one of the main reasons why I don’t associate myself with smokers.

If anyone in my family ever started to smoke, I think I would find somewhere else to live. In fact, my grandpa used to smoke, but thanks to surgery, he doesn’t anymore. I remember when I was younger and I would tell him, “Stop smoking, it’s really bad for you.” My sister and I even made up a little jingle that we would always tell him. It was,”Smoking, smoking is a bad habit, smoking, smoking, you need to quit.” He never listened to us thought. Less than a year ago, he had to have surgery because his oxygen was low, along with other problems that arose from smoking. He had to stay in the lovely hospital and

eat their delicious food. One time when I went in to visit him, he was sitting there, hacking up black goop that came from his lungs. I soon realized that it was old

tar that clung to his lungs like a train to its tracks. He then told me that he was never going to smoke again because he hated not seeing all of his grandchildren, and for them to see him in such disgust. He is now home and doing better, but still wants the Nicotine. It just goes to show that although it may be fun, in the long run, it really can screw you up.

If any point was given in this essay, I really hope that it showed that it is a disgusting habit that many people get into. By personal experiences, I know that I

will never marry a smoker, live with a smoker, or be a smoker. I just really hope that people start to think about all the consequences that there are that come with it. I’m sure you’ll remember when you are in the hospital on your deathbed.

Just remember, every puff counts.