A Working Philosophy in Life

Loteskow Oscar - Stockton, California

A Working Philosophy in Life

Trudging every single day through the complexities of daily living, everyone needs a guiding philosophy in life. My personal guiding philosophy is the Chinese philosopher Confucius’ Golden Rule: “Do not do unto others what you do not want others do unto you!” This guiding philosophy makes my life peaceful, organized and out of worry for what others may hold against me.

As I grow more mature in life, consideration for others is a principle I always apply in whatever I do. What effect my actions will be on other people, at least those near me. Just like mowing the lawn on weekends. I usually start the trimming and mowing with those noisy machines at past ten in the morning to spare my neighbors the noise if they happen to be late risers considering that it is a weekend. Taking the garbage receptacles out to the side of the street at around seven every Sunday night is to my belief, just fine since people in my neighborhood are already at home and will rest for the night early because the next day is working day.

The second principle I have learned as I grow up is being humble and non-confrontational. Humility makes me grounded to earth though I can attest that it is not always easy. On the freeway for instance, my wife always lecture me on what I should have done before, when changing lanes or negotiating a complex exit like in Sacramento’s Interstate-5 connector joining Highway 50 and Interstate-80. Considering all motorists around, I look at either blind side before even flicking the left or right turn signal. Being the observer that she is will always have something to say on these situations, mostly finding faults in my driving. I would not contradict what she says thinking first of what I did. Whether she is right or wrong, I would not react or say anything to avoid an argument.

Another principle I always apply in the daily exercise of civil society living is patience. Whenever I encounter motorists who prefer to stick out dirty finger signs for any infraction they perceive I have done, I just ignore them and keep a good distance. I would not want to make matters worse by unnecessary moves to show aggression. Patience makes me feel at ease with the work at hand than be consumed by anger and vengeance. Likewise, when someone driving cuts my way without blinking their turn signals, I prefer to let it pass and just move on.

“Putting myself in other’s shoes” is a good practice to know more how to live harmoniously within a community. I can readily understand better what other people are doing without being judgmental. There is the understanding that all people sometimes do crazy things for a reason no matter how illogical that reason can be. However, people should find patience and understanding in their hearts to let every day less chaotic than what it already is.