Corey - Belleville, Michigan

I believe in a lot of things, and listening to my parents is one of the most important.

I have two older siblings and they have been models to my little brother and I.

We were raised knowing the difference between right and wrong. We went to church on

Sundays and even bible classes on Wednesdays, when we didn’t have homework. My mom

and dad practiced what they taught us. They believed education was crucial to making it in life.

We didn’t always understand, but our parents had our best interests at heart.

When I was younger my parents got phone calls about my brothers’ silly behavior and his

failing grades. My mom and dad talked to him often and disciplined

him. My parents met with his teachers many times. He struggled to graduate from high school.

When he got out of high school, he went to Washtenaw Community College for a short time.

He completed two semesters and then worked for a while. In church, he met a girl named

Manique, whom he married several months later. My parents were trying to tell him to finish

college before he got married and had kids. A year later, he had a baby girl Then he

messed up. Him and his wife had very little money and low paying jobs. They

struggled for about a year. Marcus tried going back to school and working at the same time.

That didn’t work out well. He could not support his family and had to do something fast.

He joined the army. He enlisted in the armed forces for four years. Now he and his family live

in California. I believe that if my brother had listened to my parents, life would not have been so

hard for him.

My sister Ashley never gave my parents problems until she became a

senior in high school. She began to hang around the wrong people. My parents believed that you

are guilty by association. Ashley began to get in trouble and began skipping school. She was also

suspended for several days and struggled to graduate from high school. She left home and

became pregnant. Ashley dropped out of college, and began working. She lived with her

and got evicted from her apartment and began living place to place. After having the baby, she

continued to try to make it on her own. After a while, she realized she had made many mistakes.

One day, she wanted to move back home so she could get her life straight. My parents welcomed

her and the baby home. Ashley is starting to be more responsible and is choosing better friends.

I believe that if my brother and sister had listened to my parents, they would not have had

to go through such a rough road. I have made some wrong choices as well, with hanging with the

wrong groups. I believe most parents have wisdom and that you need to listen to them so that

they can direct you in life.