What goes around, comes around

Sarah - Westmont, Illinois

I always thought that karma was real. Most of the time, I deal with “bad karma.” On several occasions, I remember having many unfortunate things happen to me. Simple things like procrastinating on a project then ending up having to present first, cutting ahead in the lunch line and dropping food all over the floor, and the list goes on. After a while, I started to believe that there was only “bad karma”, and good karma was nonexistent. It was not until last winter that I began to have second thoughts on my belief.

Last February, a family friend of mine went through a major surgery. Her daughter Riley and I were best friends, but we slowly became distant. We barely had the time to call or hang out. But on a late Friday night, she called me up saying “Hey, my dad is at the hospital with my mom and I’m alone. Can you please come over and spend the night?” Although it was almost midnight, I said yes and began to gather some of my things. I figured that if she would randomly call me that late, then she must really want my company.

Unfortunately, I still had to wake up early due to an important choir performance. But after we woke up, she kept asking me “Do you have to go? Please stay.” I really did not want to miss my performance, especially since a lot of people would get upset if I did not show up. But at the same time, I would feel guilty for abandoning Riley. After thinking long and hard, I chose to stay with Riley. I figured she needed me more than my choir did. Towards the end of the day, I called my choir leader to apologize for not attending. I was so nervous of getting yelled at, that I felt my throat get dry as I was explaining to her my reason. But with a chuckle, she replied saying, “Michelle, you didn’t know? The performance was rescheduled due to the harsh weather.” Hearing her say that the performance was postponed was such a relief.

For once, I felt my act of kindness paid off. At first, I thought that something bad would happen to me for missing it. But since I went out of my way to help out a friend in need, something good happened to me in return. From then on, my belief that there was only “bad karma” changed. Now, I believe that “good karma” does exist, you just have to earn it.