The Impotance of Forgiveness

Christy - san Ramon, California
Themes: forgiveness

The Importance of Forgiveness

I was raised by my grandmother. She was like my mother. In fact, she took me home directly from the hospital and gave me a life filled with love and happiness. But when I reached the age of about sixteen, we started fighting a lot. The fights were usually my fault. On February 22nd, 2002, she died of a heart attack. Sure enough, we were fighting when it happened, and my last words to her were “I hate you.” It took me a long time to get over this. I had always been the type of person to dwell on my mistakes. Although it was a terrible time for me, I learned a lot; I learned to believe in forgiveness.

At first I thought about the mistakes I had made all of the time. I blamed myself for her death because I was the one that got her all “worked up.” But blaming and being depressed isn’t what she would have wanted. I had to learn to forgive myself. I was driving myself crazy. It took a long time, and it was difficult. But it was a great lesson to learn. It helped me a lot because now I try to keep that lesson in mind. I try to never get down on myself. Doing so doesn’t get people anywhere.

I also learned how important it is to forgive others. I wish I would’ve known how important it is back then. If I wouldn’t have held grudges and fought with her every chance I got, life would’ve been a lot better for the both of us. Thankfully though, I know now. I know how stupid is is to argue with people we care about. In my opinion, we should just forgive and move on.

I feel that learning forgiveness has made my life much better than it otherwise would have been. I held a grudge against my mother for years because I felt like she abandoned me. But now we have a great relationship because I learned how to forgive. I also have a great relationship with my husband and the rest of my family, and I have a lot of friends. I’m a very empathetic person and find it nearly impossible to hold a grudge. I rarely get into arguments with others. When I do they rarely last because I’ve learned to make it a habit to ask myself questions like, “What is this going to prove” or “Is there ever really a winner?”

I believe being a forgiving person is a great characteristic to have. It goes hand in hand with empathy, humility, patience, and understanding. Its definetely changed my life for the better. I hope that by reading this more people decide to try and practice forgiveness. There’s nothing to lose, but a lot to gain