Poisonous Deliciousness

Xuan - Hinsdale, Illinois

The majority of the human population all love food. A nice home cooked dinner, or a fancy French named dessert can always bright people’s day up. No matter if it is just the way it tastes or the fulfillment when the food melts in the stomach, good food can always bring satisfaction. I understand those people with binge-eating disorders; they get depressed and food provides them with comfort, when they are obese and depressed again, eating will once again help them feel better.

When my family moved from a complete different place to Hinsdale, food was once my best and only accompaniment. As an eighth grader, I have just left behind all of my friends and came to a new environment, and that year was tough for me. It was hard to fit in a new school and neighborhood, things just doesn’t go like they used to. To sum it up, the new life was a total chaos, nothing was going right. But because I have lost control over my life, I wanted to rely on something new and something that will comfort me in the new life. And that is became attached to food. Once I realized the only good feel I can get everyday is from eating, food might be the only thing that could comfort me in life. Because of that, I started to add more and more food to my daily meal routine. Every day I would have more food than the day before. Not much longer, I would start the day off with breakfast, snack before lunch, lunch, snack, dinner and then a snack in the night. Soon, I found myself ten pounds heavier. I still can’t fit in well in new school, and the classes, and nope, I still didn’t have any close friend. I felt depressed each and every day, then followed by binge eating everyday. For a period of three months, I can say that I was addicted to food. Even times when I didn’t felt depressed, I would still want to eat just out of habit.

But eventually, when I have gained five more pounds by the end of the three month mark, I began to worry. Not only I was worried about the way I look, my health will definitely become a problem if the bad eating habit continues. I know that if this habit don’t stop, I will end up with serious health conditions. Slowly I was quitting the eating habit and started to focus more on school. By the end of the semester, I have already lost the eating habit and gained control of some other parts of my new life. Even though it was dangerous, I have to say and binge eating have helped me walk through the hardest three months of getting used to a new environment. Binge eating is dangerous for my health, but food was the only comfort I had back then. Even until this day, I still believe food have poisonous healing powers.