Jamie - Outing, Minnesota
Themes: sports

My favorite sport is NASCAR. Many will not even consider it a sport because all they do is drive around on an oval making lefts. A lot of people have come up to me over the years and told me that NASCAR is dumb and question why I watch it and if they comment on it I just say well then don’t watch it if you don’t like it.

I believe that if you like something you shouldn’t let others get in the way of it. Many people these days, especially kids, give up something just because their friends don’t like it or it’s not the cool thing to do.

To me NASCAR is sport that brings people from all walks of life together. Each track holds between 30,000 people and 250,000 people and all the seats are usually full. In all other sports most fans cheer for their states team and go to their local games to watch. In NASCAR it’s a bit different. You get to cheer for a team but in most cases you have to travel over 200 miles or halfway across the country to see them race. I went to Homestead-Miami Speedway last year to watch the last race of the season. The stands were packed and it was a beautiful day out. I was talking to the family next to us and I mentioned we were from Minnesota. They said that they were from Maine and flew down here also to see the race. At that time it occurred to me that people come from all over the country just to watch this one race.

A lot people also think that at a NACAR race there’s just a bunch of drinking. That may be true but when a six year old walks by showing off his new Dale Earnhardt Jr t-shirt that should change their mind. Most of my friends don’t watch NASCAR but that doesn’t keep me from watching it. You get to be yourself when you go to races and fans bond together to cheer for their favorite driver. Nothing stops me from watching races and I’m glad I found something that I can be interested in.