I believe in playing an active role in life

William - pineyflats, Tennessee

I believe an individual must take an active role in changing their own life towards a better future. No body can do for you what you can do for yourself. I feel people have an obligation to realize their strengths and weaknesses and improve upon them. I personally have struggled my entire life expecting the world to bind to my will rather then attempting to work with the world in obtaining my goals. It’s much easier to play an active role in one’s own life then expecting the world to change just for oneself.

People often think that they have no control over a situation but often times they are simply walking around with blinder on, and find it easier to blame others for their misfortunes rather then looking at the role they played to get themselves into that situation. Since the sixth grade I’ve been over weight and always blaming god for being over weight. Then about a year ago a 24 hour gym opened up down the street from my house. I then decided by golly I would stop whining to god about being fat and do something about it, so I joined that gym and now I’m forty pounds lighter then I was my freshmen year of high school.

When I first started exercising I was smoking somewhere around a half a pack of cigarettes day and could smell the toxins leaving my body as I sweat. As the weeks progressed I smoked less and less and my endurance grew more and more. Now I can run 3 full miles in 30 minutes do 200 straight sit-ups and 50 pushups and this is just in a year. But it took me making the decision to change my life and to stop blaming god for my problems. Now when people give me nicknames they are no longer a reflection of fatness but in fact are a reflection of my personality. Each day that goes by I feel stronger then the day before and that’s amazing and now I thank god for the opportunity that it gave me to improve myself and make myself a better person.

I believe every one of us can make our lives better all we must do is take our blinders off and look for the opportunities to improve our lives and the lives of those around us.