Keep On Keepin’ On

Thomas - Bluff City, Tennessee

Keep On Keepin’ On

Life always has something new to throw at us. Sometimes it’s good, and sometimes it’s

bad; Whatever the challenge may be, I believe we gotta keep on keepin’ on. I know it sounds

cliche but it’s a philosophy I’ve found that works well, and can be followed in just about every

aspect of life. It’s the slow and steady stream that wins out in the end against the mighty earth.

Persistence can eat away mountains. I believe everything happens for a reason, and what doesn’t

kill us makes us stronger.

When I was a child I had a real hard time learning how to ride my bike. I remember

sitting on the porch watching the other neighborhood kids ride by on their bikes laughing and

having a good time while I sat there with envy. My parents had bought me a bike and my dad had

tried to teach me to ride it; however, during our first bike riding session I crashed into a tree.

After the crash I was ready to give up and just accept that I would never learn to ride a bike. So,

the next evening as I sat on the porch watching the other kids ride their bikes, my dad came

home. He saw me sitting there watching the other kids and asked me why I wasn’t out there

riding my bike with them. I told him I wasn’t ever going to ride my bike because I had crashed

and was afraid I would crash again. He then told me something I still remember today. He told

me that in life sometimes there will be crashes and sometimes we will get hurt but that almost

anything in life worth having or doing is going to be difficult and that if we really want to

accomplish anything in life we gotta keep on keepin’ on. After much more encouragement, I

got on my bike again that day, and after a few scrapes and bruises I learnt how to ride my bike;

but more importantly that day, I learnt a lesson for life. I learnt that life is sometimes going to be

difficult; however, if we keep on keepin’ on we can achieve anything.