I Believe in Laughing Out Loud

Leanna - Newton, New Hampshire

I believe in laughing out loud. “Lol-ing.” Yes, I believe in the overused abbreviation of the ever-popular online instant messenger. However, I think of it in a different way; in a much more literal way. Laughing can heal the heart and make anyone feel better.

Over the summer one of my friends got really sick with mono. She was very upset at the time because she thought it was going to ruin her summer vacation. I went over to her house and brought magazines, movies, and our favorite CDs. When I entered her room she gave me a sad smile. I displayed my gifts and she laughed weakly. We sat and laughed for hours watching Superbad and reading magazines. By the end of my visit she appeared to be mentally and physically better. She was glowing with happiness.

Laughter makes people feel good. Whether you are out in public or at home with close friends, there’s no better remedy than laughing.

I work at an amusement park during the summer. One day it was raining, and it seemed there were no customers in the entire park. I sat in my gift shop bored out of my mind as I listened to the rain and the silence of the stopped roller coasters. All of my co-workers and I were in droopy moods. It seemed as if there was nothing to do and we had to just sit there alone in our stores and wait for the day to be over. My manager came into my shop with a mischievous smile on her face. I looked at her questioningly. She said “give me the radio.” and I handed it to her quickly, suddenly excited—she looked like she had something important to t say. To my dismay, she held down the talk button and started to sing a Miley Cyrus song. She stopped after the first verse and we both started cracking up laughing. Moments later someone else came on the radio and sang the next verse, and someone after that, and someone after that. We couldn’t stop laughing for the rest of the night and by the time the day was over and everyone was saying their goodbyes; everybody was in a good mood.

I laugh as often as I can. Laughter is infectious and that’s why I believe everyone should laugh out loud. One of my favorite things about life is the ability to laugh at everything, to lighten the mood; because I believe no one should ever take themselves too seriously.