Awe and Inspiration

Wayne - 01719, Massachusetts

There is nothing like the feeling of chills crawling down your spine. The emotions that are stimulated after experiencing a true inspirational story are so complex and unique. I am a huge believer in the power that true stories have on their audience, whether it is a book, movie, or in any other form. I have discovered that by far the best movies are the movies based on true stories. Some examples are “We Are Marshall,” “Rudy,” and “Remember the Titans.” Even though I sometimes have trouble getting interested in books I can truly say that reading non-fiction tales of real people or amazing events are equally as appealing to me as movies. Some examples are “Eleven Seconds” and “Into the Wild.” All of the stories I have listed above as well as many others all have something in common, the ability to engage the audience, generate different kinds of emotions, and most significantly, inspire other people.

The best example of being motivated and touched emotionally by a story is after seeing the movie “Miracle.” The movie is a great depiction of the remarkable story of the 1980 USA Men’s Olympic Ice Hockey Team and their journey to the gold medal. I went with my hockey team to see the movie in theatres for the first time and I was able to notice the overall feeling of awe and inspiration among all of the other players. We were less then 24 hours away from the biggest game of the year yet we all felt confident after reliving such a magical moment. I remember how I was never more ready to play a game then I was after watching “Miracle.”

It was still towards the beginning of our hockey season and we were anticipating a successful year. We had a non-conference matchup with a team that was highly ranked in Massachusetts. We were a young team and in a different situation may have felt nervous or pessimistic. However this game, as I clearly remember, felt different. There was a different environment in the locker room and all players were more focused on the task at hand. Players felt inspired that if the 1980 Olympic Team could beat the Russians then we had as much as a chance of being victorious. We went out and dominated the game for all 45 minutes. We ended up winning the game 5-1 and by season’s end the game was obviously the best team performance and biggest highlight of the year.

Many other movies and books have affected my life and I have in turn become a believer in true inspirational stories. Most of all, I believe in trying to understand why the story is being told and identify valuable lessons that can change your way of thinking. In truth, all people have a good story to tell. However they may not realize how enjoyable their story is or more importantly, the unique abilities that these stories have on others.